Moegirlpedia would welcome your assistance in improving this article☆Kira~
Improvements can be made in the following areas:
As you read this article, you're welcome to participate in editing this page. Before editing, please read the wiki quickstart, edit guidelines and retrieve relevant information.We wish you a good time on Moegirlpedia.
|Moe Point||Ryūzoku (Japanese: 竜族)|
|Related Moe Points||jingai, dragon|
Ryūzoku (竜族, りゅうぞく), meaning "dragon race" in Japanese, is a moe point in ACG subculture.
Whether it is Western mythology or Eastern mythology, one of the common features of ryūzoku is that they can fly, and they can also spew flames, water, lightning, hail and other powerful energies from their mouths. Therefore, ryūzoku is usually a race with high status and strength.
Ryūzoku in the Western world
They are known as "Dragons" in the western world. Before Christianity became popular, the "Dragon" in the West has always been the national symbol of the Vikings, Celts and Saxons. But after Christianity became popular, this kind of dragon totem and snakes were amplified in negative connotations. Western dragons were depicted as evil "ancient snakes", "devils" and "Satan" in the chapter of Revelation in the New Testament.
Western dragon figures usually have the body of a cougar, two large membranous wings or feathers, four legs, and a somewhat horse-like head. The dragon's tail is long and sinuous, with spines at the end and possibly barbs. The ends of each leg have huge claws similar to those of carnivorous birds.
Nowadays, the views of dragons in Western culture and a large number of works have long been separated from absolute evil and ferocious beasts, and more of neutral creatures with great power.
Christianism is still the mainstream of Western culture, and "dragon" is still synonymous with demons in politics. In political articles criticizing infamous people, they are still called "dragons".
In some modern cultural works, slaughtering a dragon is a way to describe a person with great strength and martial arts rather than a person with justice. There are also a lot of scenes where powerful warriors and dragons build bonds and fight together in ACG works. Such warriors who ride dragons are called dragon knights (occupation).
There are also some literary works in which the hybrids of dragons and humans have the same posture as humans, but can use the magic of the elder dragons. Such warriors can also be called dragon knights.
There are many subspecies of dragons, generally divided into three main categories: chromatic, gems and metallic. Dragons named after colors include black, blue, green, red and white dragons. These dragons are extremely evil and feared. Dragons named after metals include brass dragons, bronze dragons, bronze dragons, gold dragons and silver dragons. These dragons are noble and kind, respected by the righteous. Dragons named after gems include Amethyst Dragon, Crystal Dragon, Emerald Dragon, Sapphire Dragon and Topaz Dragon. They are neutral between good and evil, charismatic and very gentle. Although generally smaller and slower than other dragons, they are usually smarter than other dragons and have special abilities to compensate. (taken from the game Dungeons and Dragons)
Dragons in the Moe Beast world
- Ancient Dragon
- The Ancient Dragon is a native species of Azeroth. Although this dragon has the name of a dragon, it has no intelligence and is a powerful beast. They prey on other animals to feed themselves. But for some unknown reason, some dragons have a certain intelligence and can communicate in primitive languages, and can consciously cooperate to hunt for food. After the defeat of Galakrond, the five guardian dragons and their subordinates impressed the Titans, so the Titans gave them different powers to protect Azeroth. According to the different powers granted, the ancient dragons were divided into five dragon races.
- Red Dragon
- Vanir Titan Eonar entrusted Alexstrasza with the duty to protect life, and the Red Dragons also possessed the power of the Titans to protect life. The fire of the red dragon can completely purify any plague, but the powerful energy will burn any living creature without dragon blood.
- Bronze Dragon
- The Aesir Titan Amanthel entrusted Nozdormu with the duty of guarding time and destiny, and the Bronze Dragon family could travel through time and space at will, repairing the hugely deviated timeline.
- Blue Dragon
- Aesir Titan Norgannon bestowed his magical powers on Malygos and the blue dragons, and some blue dragons infiltrated mortal society in human form to learn how mortals practice magic.
- Black Dragon
- The Vanir titan Khaz'gross bestowed his power on Neltharion and the Black Dragons, who once served as guardians of the earth, but were corrupted by the Old Gods because their power was too close. Among the black dragons, only Khaz'Ggoss has free will because he was purified by the power of the Titan before hatching, and the other black dragons are the servants of the ancient gods.
- Green Dragon
- The Vanir Titan Eonar entrusted the responsibility of guarding dreams to Ysera, Alexstrasza's sister, and the green dragons are the guardians of the Emerald Dream.
- Twilight Dragon
- Neltharion's first wife, Sinestra, was a dragon created by the power of the Nether Dragon and the Black Dragon. This dragon has the ability to switch between reality and nothingness similar to the Soul Walker. Dragonax is the only Twilight Dragon.
- Eternal Dragon
- Nozdormu discovered through his abilities that preventing the Doomsday from coming was actually a bad decision. If the Doomsday is realized, all living beings will be wiped out, but if Deathwing and Doomsday are prevented, the future will be far more terrifying than "all beings wiped out". The future form of Nozdormu and the bronze dragons is the eternal dragon. Except for the skin, the eternal dragon family has the same bronze dragon ability.
- Nether Dragon
- Known as Netheron in Warcraft 3, it is a dragon seed hatched from black dragon eggs infected by the Nether energy that ripped apart the world of Draenor. Nether Dragons live in Outlands, and unlike other dragons, the Nether Dragons have bodies composed purely of Nether energy.
- Frost Dragon
- An undead dragon race. A large number of dragon corpses in Northrend were resurrected by the former Lich King Ner'zhul with the power of the undead, a powerful weapon of the Scourge.
Dragons in the Eastern world
In Eastern mythology, "Dragon" belongs to the supreme divine race, and there are many sources for dragon totem:
- Mr. Wen Yiduo researched the ancestor of the dragon in the 1940s and believed that the original prototype of the dragon totem was the snake totem. After the tribe with the snake as the totem (there is a saying that this tribe is the Fuxi tribe, which was later passed on to the Taihao tribe) eliminated or annexed the tribe, part of the totem of the annexed tribe was added to the snake totem one by one. The dragon totem is gradually complicated, and the details are turned into an advanced look. The dragon totem represents the concept of harmony and unity, abandoning the concept of the weak and the strong, and it is a source of the spirit of the Chinese nation.
- The "New Chinese Dragon" fossil unearthed in Xinpu Township, Guanling County, Anshun City, Guizhou Province in 1996 shows that the dragon has real or roughly real ancestors, but its function has been mythed.
- Ancient crocodiles. Wei Juxian, an ancient Chinese history expert, was the first to put forward this statement. In his book published in 1934, he said that "a dragon is a crocodile", and some foreign scholars also believe that the prototype of the dragon is a crocodile.
- In ancient astronomy, the first dragon prototype was formed after the combination of seven of the twenty-eight Eastern constellations, Kang, Di, Fang, Xin, Wei and Ji. In the long history of China, the worship intention of stars has been continuously detailed and sacred, belonging to the achievements of ancient astronomy in the cultural field.
The humanistic spirit of the dragon culture is embodied in innovation, synthesis, tolerance, enterprising, and independence. It is a symbol of multi-ethnic harmony and coexistence, and it is also the embodiment of the formation and integration of the Chinese nation in ancient culture.
In ancient Chinese mythology, the oriental dragon could only become a real dragon after a long period of cultivation, a process called "transforming a dragon". Being able to grow into a powerful dragon requires hardships that ordinary animals can’t compare to surviving on the earth. In the process of transforming into a dragon, there is the danger of the same kind of killing and the retreat of human beings. , it is possible to encounter a heavenly punishment similar to transcending the calamity. Dragons who have undergone these more arduous cultivation processes than birds and beasts are qualified to enter the heavenly rank of immortals and bring happiness to the people. In the eyes of the Orientals, "dragon" is a symbol of auspiciousness and majesty, and ancient Chinese emperors regarded themselves as the incarnation of "dragons".
Oriental dragons in different growth cycles have different names and different bloodlines.
Some scholars once suggested to change the English of Dongfanglong to "loong" in order to distinguish Eastern and Western dragons, but at present the English-speaking Dongfanglong still uses "Chinese Dragon".
Most of the dragons mentioned in Hinduism are snakes, which are mistranslated as dragons in East Asia.
- Azure Dragon
- In Chinese legends, the highest-ranked Oriental Dragon. In traditional culture, the Azure Dragon, White Tiger, Vermilion Bird, and Black Tortoise are collectively known as the Four Holy Beasts. Before the Five Elements Theory, the Qinglong could represent the Fuxi clan, the head of the Three Kingdoms. According to the color matching of yin and yang and the five elements, the east belongs to wood, and the color is cyan, and the name of the Azure Dragon comes from this.
- Hui (虺)
- In "Shu Yi Ji", the Hui is the earliest form of dragon, without scales. Its image is more similar to the male Naga in the Moe Beast world: it has a thick torso and upper limbs and a fish tail with bone spurs. It must be cultivated for at least five hundred years before it can advance to the next level.
- Jiao (蛟)/Scaled Dragon
- Cultivation for at least five hundred years. The body of the Jiao dragon is similar to that of a snake, and its head is similar to that of a tiger. Generally, it has only very short horns or no horns at all. Jiaojiao generally live on the bottom of lakes, ponds, and rivers. Jiaojiao who live in seclusion in ponds and rivers are called latent Jiaojiao. Usually the Jiaojiao fight for a piece of water and kill each other. The strong Jiaojiao can live in a comfortable lake, while the weak can only live in small ponds or rivers. The waters inhabited by Jiaojiao usually lead to fewer fish due to the predation of Jiaojiao. Jiao can emerge into a dragon after cultivating underwater for 1000 years. At this time, the dragon has the ability to fly, and can live in the sky and continue to cultivate as a horned dragon, or survive on the land and cultivate as a panlong. The Jiaojiao may enter the sea in the process of cultivation, and the Jiaojiao who enters the sea will become the subordinate of the Dragon King.
- Panlong (蟠龙)/Coiled Dragon
- Dragons who live on land and do not go to heaven have a derogatory meaning, so there is also a saying that they are inferior water dragons inferior to Jiao. Panlong often appears in ancient traditional buildings as a kind of mortal dragon. In the ancient book Taiping preview, the Panlong is four feet long, with a blue-black body, and it often appears in the rivers. Panlong is highly poisonous, and those injured by Panlong will surely die. The concept of the dragon is mixed with the setting of snake and Jiao, and it is a kind of evil monster.
Another way of saying that the fifteen sons of the Dragon King of the East China Sea are called Panlong.
Panlong studied under the Sanyuan Xianjun and was good at immortal arts. One day, Panlong came to the world to play in a year of severe drought. The green crops became wasteland, and only the bare branches of the green trees were left. The earth has lost its vitality, and the people are starving and crying. The lifeless earth made Panlong's heart twist like a knife. Panlong no longer continued to play, he released the fairy magic, and swung his tail into the air for half a circle, and the sky was immediately covered with dark clouds and it began to rain. After the drought has been resolved, Panlong will not return to the Dragon Palace because of the sufferings of the world. Every day, Panlong travels between thousands of mountains and mountains. When it encounters arid areas, it rains for people. When a wooden boat hits a reef, it attracts water birds to guide the way. When a group of beasts roam the mountains, it will drive them away. When an infectious disease endangers people's health, Plant herbs. People's lives are getting better and better, but Panlong died of overwork. The body of the dragon is lying on the land of Shenzhou, and the bright eyes are reserved for the southern Chinese people to sharpen the eyes of the southerners, and the dexterous tail stretches to the north, making the legs and feet of the northern Chinese people strong.
- Jiao Long (角龙)
- A dragon who lives in the sky and continues to cultivate as an adult should at least cultivate in the sky for five hundred years. At this time, the dragon's horns are fully grown, and if they continue to cultivate for a thousand years, they can turn into Yinglong. The word "Ceratosaurus" is rarely used, and usually the Ceratosaurus is simply referred to as "Dragon". If a dragon is surrounded by clouds and mist, it is a cloud dragon.
- Qiu (虬)
- In the form of young dragon sons, the offspring of dragons combined with each other can choose a different cultivation path from their parents and transform into different images. There are folk legends that dragons give birth to nine sons, not dragons, and each has its own advantages.
- Ying Long (应龙)
- Also known as the Yellow Dragon, it has a golden body and wings on its back. According to legend, when the Yellow Emperor fought Chiyou, it was a Yinglong who killed Chiyou. This Yinglong spent too much energy in the Yan-Huang War and was unable to return to Heaven, so he came to the south to live in seclusion between the mountains and lakes. When Dayu was controlling the flood, this Yinglong came out of the mountain to assist Dayu in flood control, and drew the river with his tail to lead the flood into the sea. Yinglong is characterized by wings, scales, spines, large and long head, pointed snout, small nose, eyes and ears, large eye sockets, high eyebrows, sharp teeth, protruding forehead, thin neck and large belly, and a long pointed tail.
- Fish Dragon (鱼化龙)
- Fish Dragons are also a kind of dragon. According to folklore, the carp jumps over the dragon gate, and the carp that successfully crosses the dragon gate can become a member of the dragon family. The image of Fish Dragon is different from that of traditional dragons, it is a dragon head and a fish body.
- Xing Long (行龙)
- Fish Dragons, which are transformed from carps, can become walking dragons after reaching a certain level of dragon training.
- Shenlong (蜃龙)
- A kind of dragon clan that resembles a dragon. In ancient times, they could not understand the principle of the mirage, so they believed that the mirage was an image presented by the breath of the Shenlong. Most of the mirages in the video are luxurious pavilions that no one has ever seen before, and people in gorgeous clothes can be seen moving from the windows.
Eastern dragon race
In addition, in Chinese mythology, dragons also like animals, so there are many hybrid species: the offspring of dragon and ox is unicorn, the offspring of dragon and pig is elephant, and the offspring of dragon and horse is dragon horse (this dragon horse is not the dragon horse).
Characters with this moe point
- Alextrasza (World of Warcraft)
- Isera (World of Warcraft)
- Illococoo (The Familiar of Zero)
- Aiko (Dragonar Academy)
- Blue-Eyes White Dragon (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
- Karashok Pan (Kuiba)
- Dragon God (Touhou Project)
- Ye Hui (Mythic Beasts)
- Ao Bing (Ne Zha)
- Ch'en (Arknights)