A virtual spokesperson is a fictional character created to represent or endorse a brand or product. They are often anime characters.
Differences with similar terms
Virtual spokesperson and mascot
Virtual spokespeople are considered to be the "evolution" of mascots.
Virtual spokesperson and moe anthropomorphism
In some cases, a virtual spokesperson is the anthropomorphization of the brand/product officially recognized by such a brand, but the spokesperson themself may not appear in it. Also, a moe anthropomorphization is not necessarily the spokesperson for the brand.
Officially-recognized virtual spokespeople
- Moegirlpe-tan - Official endorser of Moegirlpedia.
- Dejiko - Official endorser of the Japanese video game store Gamers. Also the main character of the anime Di Gi Charat, where she is represented as an endorser as well.
- Melon-chan - Official endorser of the Japanese doujin store MelonBooks.
- Super Sonico - Official endorser of Japanese game company Nitroplus.
- Bilibili Girls (22 and 33) - Official endorsers of Chinese video site Bilibili.
Unofficial virtual spokespeople
- Tracer - Overwatch
Characters used for endorsement
Fictional characters who are not virtual spokespeople, but are used to promote other products.
- The characters from Girls und Panzer are used to promote tourism in Oarai Town, a port town located in Japan's Ibaraki Prefecture. The anime itself is set in Oarai.